[at-l] Re: Time to face FAQs?

At 1:14 PM -0500 1/23/98, Robert and Catherine Rubin wrote:
>Someone mentioned that there's no need for an AT-L FAQ when Wingfoot's page
>is so comprehensive. I guess I disagree.

I agree with Rubin as explained in my personal opinion below:

>First, that assumes that WF's site will always be available.

While possibly true looking very long term, at-1 I expect will remain while
WF will eventually transition his role. Hopefully that will be a very long
time; however, so
I see little concern near team and hopefully trailplace.com or its successor
will continue to provide many happiness and lessons learned from thru-hikers.
Actually, the same FAQs can be posted on as many sites as one wants to
send them. Do I mind duplicates on the web. Nope. So I think AT-L should
have a FAQ as a sustaining organization and not rely on a "one man" show with
volunteers. But the more the merrier.  I think the comment can be
expanded to sustainability. I am sure the volunteers will do their best
maintaining trailplace when WF thanks another hike. But it's life.

>Second, his site is hard to use unless you've got really fast browsers and
>connections, and you can't just download a FAQ file and read it at your
>leisure--you have to go page to page, question to question. It's well
>organized, but I find it hard to use. I like a good FAQ file I can download
>and pick through offline.

I expect this to be short term problem. However with a basic issue such
as faq a site administrator could make a txt or low speed modem  interface;
however,
since 28.1 K modems are very cheap nowadays and getting cheaper as 56K is
becoming the standard. I would suggest the internet user upgrade to
at least 28.1K. The WF site is very large, true, but holds much of value.
Maybe some other white blazes on your monitor screen could help navigate
his site. <gr>  I would suggest, the faq html page url be saved as a
bookmark or favorite site, that way you can go right to your favorite
places without navigating a site... take the blue trail :)

>Third, it's Wingfoot's. Things posted on Trailplace "belong" to the AT
>Center, and appear on the Web page under his copyright rubrics.

WF has given his explanation of what he thinks a  copyright is. I would
suggest on his site he POST his meaning of copyright.

I doubt the average lay person thinks a "company's" posting
on trailplace.com stipulates on its front page:  copyright, worldwide
rights reserved
means that the site has not reserved all its rights or has some other
interpretation of what those words mean. ( NOTE: I am not a lawyer ). On many
sites, once posted, the site posted to gains freedom to use the material as
their material.

Any lawyers out there? If someone posts something on a "copyrighted", what
does copyright mean?

Actually, if one really uses WF analogy, since the extraction of forum comments
is welcomed by others what has happened is words are taken out of context
and reissued. Worse, the extractions ( while not done on purpose )
inadvertantly
used someone else's words in the thread as coming from another. I would just
suggest care in any extractions. And what is a copywrited forum with all
rights reserved? By a forums very nature, any continuing thread reissues
the prior owner's material.  That's just a thought? By the way, this
material might be the owner's?  But who is the owner? Hmmm?

>Fourth, Wingfoot is controversial--he's a FAQ subject himself, which seems
>to bother him.

Yes I agree from different views.

 He has an agenda, and a very specific vision for the AT.

I think he does and yes he defends his position.  One must simply remember
each person is looking through their own life's viewscreen. Sometimes
one's eyes are clouded.

 Not everybody agrees with him, and he doesn't appear to like it when you argue
>about his vision on his home court.

WF reply was: I do have one rule that is primary ... that no one can use
Trailplace or its lists to direct personal attacks against the character or
motives of another user or subscriber.

Unfortunately, I do not believe the "tolerance" suggested by WF has been
demonstrated.

While the following exchange happended on the trailplace.com forum, the
thru-hiker
was providing his opinion.  I will simply place the entire WF msg

( Note, I have removed the senders name as they had just introduced themselves
and where explaining there reasons for disagreements in several areas.

I had sent this to WF but never received a reply, as a matter of fact, what
happened was even more interesting ! Once I sent this off-line to WF,
and I can only can guess at the coincidence, I have not recieved any more
atml digests?  Hmmm... makes my viewscreen seem clouded.

The person was an experienced thru-hiker introducting themselves and
giving their views.

What happened was the person was expelled from atml and the statements
below are fully contained with only the name of the atml sender

-----

WF, I hope you were joking? (name deleted) gave some good insight and
has his views looked well written.

Looks like he has lots of outdoor experience.

Did you really throw him off the list??

See ( name deleted ) response to me off-line. -tom