Re: [at-l] lightweight shelter - junglehammock

kurt wrote:

> Maine guide Richard Mere suggested a pad in the hammock, not only for this,
> but for side sleeping comfort as well. Good tip.

Does he make any recommendation as to what type of pad to use?
Since it wouldn't be resting flat, I assume that Thermarests
are right out, and probably one wouldn't be doing a Ridgerest
any favors either. A good old fashioned foam pad, perhaps.

> This was the thrust of my question, as I have found it difficult to string
> my 'lil non-jungle hammock on some trips. I was wondering if there are
> stretches where trees would be non-existant, making it impossible...for more
> than a night or two.

That's beyond my experience. I can't imagine that would be the
case unless you were somehow limiting where you were planning
to stay (e.g. shelter sites), but who knows?

One thing I'd be concerned with regarding the jungle hammock,
however, is that you'll have to tie lines at two places on each
tree -- one for the hammock and one for the roof -- at more or
less a fixed distance apart. I suspect that'll be extra festive
if you try to rig it up on thickly limbed trees; something you
may end up doing on occasion.

--
mfuller@somtel.com, Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt. }>:-/> --->