[at-l] Water filters

Has anyone evaluated the possibility of taking the Pur Pioneer on a thru-hike?
I saw it for the first time about a week ago.  I initially dismissed it,  but
after thinking further,  it might have some big advantages on a thru-hike. The
biggest is that it comes with filter disks that are designed for about a two
or three week's use (12 gallons) and then you replace it with a new disk.  The
only negative is that you would have to include adequate replacement disks in
your maildrops.  The cost,  $35 for the filter and $52 for a six month supply
of disks seems reasonable.  The filter is lightweight (8 oz.) vs. 11 oz. for
the Pur Hiker.  I don't have the weight of the disks,  but I'm guessing no
more than an oz.  The filter fits right onto a Nalgene wide mouth bottle and
it pumps a liter a minute.

The big advantage as I see it is that when the filter gets clogged,  you just
pop in a new disk and it's as good as new again.  What does everybody think?

Happy trails,

Solar Bear