[at-l] Re: Advantix camera suggestions

Ronald Moak <ronm@fallingwater.com> says:

> The most popular camera I saw on the trail last summer was the Olympus.
> They are small, light, and waterproof. They have built in flash and most
> models have a zoom lens. Generally they start at around $100. Make sure
> you  carry an extra battery.
>
> Personally I don't care for the Advantix cameras. They don't take slide
> film and the different pictures (normal, panorama, etc) are mainly a
> trick  of cropping the image. The frame size on the film is the same for
> all  formats. You can achieve the same results by scanning the images and
> editing them in your computer. Or you can have then re-cropped at the
> camera store.
>
> A bit a personal bias here.
>
> Ron

Agreed!  The Advantix cameras are smaller (lighter), they do some
interesting tricks, but I'll stick with my Olympus 35mm.

Are Advantix film and processing more expensive than equivalent 3mm?
Will that format pass away like 110-size film and disk cameras?
I also prefer slides, but Ektachrome has only 1/2 f-stop exposure latitude;
see below:

I was recently introduced to Kodak PJM color-negative film, also known as
"Ektapress Multispeed Professional."  Its default speed is ASA 640
("DX"-encoded on the cassette).  Special processing (extended
developer-time) will yield up to ASA 1600.  Development is by the common C-
41 process, as used in "One-hour" shops.

It has a four-f-stop exposure latitude, so a flash provides proper exposure
through an unusually deep area.  It's hard to make a bad exposure, even if
the flash doesn't go off!  A friend easily made excellent pictures of comet
Hale-Bopp with it.  I took pictures very hurriedly at a cave rescue, and
was surprised to get good results.  In the future I intend to use this film
for applications where pictures must be made quickly in adverse
conditions.  The grain and color quality look good to me; I'll let "real"
photographers quibble about that.

PJM is not available at K-mart et al; my local camera store only sells it
in 5-roll packs of 36-exposure rolls (about US$30).  Shelf life is about
two years, unlike some short-lived "professional" films.

Little information is supplied with the film.  I couldn't find any info
about PJM on www.  If anyone has references, please post or email.

 --  Frank       reid@indiana.edu