Re: [at-l] Solstice Reputation

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Hooch wrote:

> I found A  great deal on a Solstice Microshed parka. It has every
[snip]
> I'm hoping several of you can give me info on Solstices reputation. They
[snip]
>   I know nothing compares to Gore-Tex, but can I count on Microshed???

I got the Solstice microshed and like it a lot.  My version is a year or
2 old, and the only thing I would note about it is that the fabric is a
little heavy (I assume its polyester of some sort that the micro-shed is
laminated to as opposed to nylon). This would make it difficult for me in
summer, and I think that over time might get tiring, but this is a matter
of personal choice, TNF, MH, etc. offer jackets with similar weight fabric
(I think gtx sticks better to polyester than nylon).

As for the quality of the jacket itself, unfortunately, I have not been
able to test it since I got it, except for in the city (although as it
turns out, Chicago has been quite a test for it!).  I think the
workmanship (workpersonship?) is top-notch and it will take a beating.  As
for Gtx vs. microshed, I've never bought the "miricle fabric" marketing
hype about Gtx anyway.  Since this is a primarily cold-weather jacket for
me, the difference between the two is not that important, especially
considering the very generous pit-zips.
I do have a friend who used it as his year-round jacket (until he could
afford a lighter summer one) and did give it a beating, and liked it a
lot.

As a PS - I was concerned about the proprietary zipper sizes that many
companies use to get you to buy their fleece or whatever to zip in as a
liner.  I worked in an outdoor store, and tested before I bought it that a
Marmot liner (for me, the primaloft jacket) would zip into it.  I believe
that the MH Nuts and Bolts down jacket also zipped into it, but this is
something to test before you buy if it is a concern to you.

hope this was of some help,
jeff

Jeffrey Mosenkis           MAPSS Student            University of Chicago

                     j-mosenkis@uchicago.edu

"The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people feel
worse"  - 'Bleeding Gums' Murphy