Re: [at-l] Mayo

>AHHHHHHHH.  The tree hugger in me is having a stroke!!!!!!
>
>I hate to be the bad guy here, but do you have any idea how long one
of those little plastic ketchup thingys stays in a landfill?  And how
many (not to mention the other 7 condiments...)  in a 5 day
backpacking trip do you use?  Please, please, please think twice about
not using those little packets!  (sorry Steve, I know its your job!).

>Why not add salt/pepper to your dehydrated food before going out?
Saves time and waste on the trail.  I don't have any ingenious
solutions for mayo, must, & ketchup, (go without???) but my heart is
wrenching thinking about hundreds of little condiment packages lying
around in a landfill for the next 300 years.

The Party Pooper, Pooh

This is true, those little nasty packets do not decompose very rapidly
in landfills, but then neither doe zip lock bags or trash bags and we
use a lot of those.  The salt and pepper packets are just paper and
can be composted (A landfill does not compost).  As I said in a
:-)

>I work for the largest manufacturer of those little mayo packets (and
just about anything else that fits in a packet), so I checked with
our Quality Control Lab folks.  First, it IS real mayo in those
packets (at least in all we make).  Second, the 'official company
line' shelf life is four months.

>Steve Miller

After reading this I am going to throw away all those old mayo
packets.  I thought green the natural color of mayo in the little
packets.  What is real mayo? I have the suspicion that the term mayo
covers a lot of different formulations.  I know for instance Kraft
cannot call Velveta cheese in Canada.  My home made Mayo contains corn
oil and eggs and taste better than anything I can buy.

Cheers,
Bob Dudley
rdudley@arserrc.gov