[at-l] Re:White Mtns Huts

At 11:47 PM -0500 1/13/98, TO KTAADN wrote:
>I wouldn't blink an eye, $50.00 is nothing, I have paid much more money for
>much less...
>
>And I stooped down to pick up a penny at the grocery store parking lot today!
>Send some of those bills to the rest of us ;-)
>
>Happy trails,
>
>Solar Bear

--------

I agree with Solar Bear.. what's "cheap" and "affordable" is somewhat in
the eyes of the person with the money.

On the AMC hut issue, I look at the issue a little differently. Many
people focus the BILL on a one night stay by one person or having the
person "work it off" in barter.

Doesn't AMC charge for each person?

Perhaps AMC could give a greater family or multi-person discount or a
multi-day pass discount?

Let's see: Mom, Dad and two teens age sixteen for three days:

    $62 * 3 * 4 * .80 = $600   ( the .80 reflects 20% discount )

For many Americans earning a minimum wage, $600 aftertax dollars is a lot
of money to enjoy something they just want to pitch a tent and see
some views of American "free land".

I suggest, we should give an opportunity for these American families to
cross the
American outdoors without having to work-off the trip during the
travel or require people to hike far distances below tree line to
continue their travel across the ridge.

I suggest AMC could built many more inexpensive wooden tent  platforms
slightly away from the hut ( 0.1 miles typically ) that could be either
free or a few dollar charge and to be able to tent out on these platforms
above tree line.
Personally, I'd rather tent or bivvy out then stay in those multi-story huts or
multi-level bunks.

What a view at night.

(Side trail issue: AMC could use some of those "miles" of cedar boards from
Pierce to Jackson and use rocks for the pathway to reduce environmental
damage. I am
aware that "the hikers" did not want to walk on the prior rocks as they got
slippery and widened the path so planks were the alternative. I suggest in
the narrow areas, perhaps that prior decision be refocused and return the
pathway to rocks. but that is another discussion saved for a rainy day. :)

The AMC toilet facilities I assume would be free to all passing
by.  That way the family has a reasonable alternative from the dungeon or
the IMO high cost Huts. $200 plus per day per family ( as defined above)
ain't cheese when its a several day hike and all they want to do is walk a
free American Mountain,
and tent out with a great view.

That's my one bad penny ;->

Enjoy life to the fullest.