Re: [at-l] Mayo

I work for the largest manufacturer of those little mayo packets (and
just about anything else that fits in a packet), so I checked with
our Quality Control Lab folks.  First, it IS real mayo in those
packets (at least in all we make).  Second, the 'official company
line' shelf life is four months.  The lab guy said that was being on
the safe side, and under proper care, six or seven months is okay.
If you leave them in a hot glove compartment for a week, I'll let you
try them first.  Ketchup and mustard have much longer lives.

This leads into a question.  Do many people use packets like these
for condiments while hiking?  Or better yet, would you if it was
readily available (apart from loading up at the fast food place)?  We
currently only sell in cases of 200-500 to big distributors, who
resell to the restaurants.  I've often thought about suggesting an
individual consumer level product offering (perhaps a small variety
box) that might be ideal for a hiker/camper.  I'm open to thoughts.

By the way, I'm not a sales-type or marketing-type...just a computer
geek.  But would be glad to recommend an idea if it may be
beneficial.  A handful of thoughts form the list might help it get
attention.

Steve Miller
smiller1@fuse.net