Re: [at-l] Issue in the Whites

Slyinmd wrote:

> . All I'm looking for is to be able to traverse
> the Presidentials without paying  exorbitant fees. I'd like to see shelters
> adjacent to the huts, at a reasonable cost, where I can cook my own meals.  I
> have a sleeping bag.  I'm also familar with low impact camping.

No disagreement here, Sly.  I think it's outrageous if there aren't
shelters  among the huts.  To put them directly adjacent to the huts may
be a bit much because all hikers aren't as careful as you.
And any spot already impacted by 100 nightly residents
probably doesn't need any more, even careful ones.
My point was that Mackaye did want something
neither urban nor rural. I have yet to see any of the huts,
but I envision them as halfway between a city hotel and an
old lean to shelter. Fifty bucks is about halfway between
a free shelter and a city hotel. But I agree totally that

>  if you don't have the fifty bucks, take a hike!

is totally outrageous.

And he _last_thing I'll want to do when I reach the
Whites is clean or do dishes!!!!!!!<<G>>
Signed Kahley who is a terrible housekeeper :-0