Re: [at-l] Issue in the Whites

In a message dated 98-01-12 13:26:29 EST, thewitt@spf.fairchildsemi.com
writes:

> Just a point of note. If you study the history of the AT at all, this is
>  _exactly_ what the original founders had in mind. The AT was envisioned as
>  place where city folks could get away from the stress of their jobs and
busy
>  lives and onto the trail - where they would stay in "Hiker Hotels" and not
>  have to worry abour carrying big packs, etc.

Really!  I have read quite a bit about the 'history of the AT'  and never did
see the hiker hotel part, did they forget to build them, except for maybe
where the AMC is located.  Maybe you can point me in the right direction

>The first thru-hiker actually carried only a day pack in Maine, as he was
able to >hike from one Sporting Camp to another for most of the trail.

Hmmm, the first thru-hiker, as in Earl Shaffer,  I just finished his book and
can't recall him switching over to a day pack.  Perhaps, I should read that
last chapter over again.

Sly