[at-l] Issue in the Whites

Saturday night I visited Trailplace Chat, with several other participants, we
got in a lively discussion about The Huts in the White Mountains.  Here's an
excerpt from Mountains and Molehills the bulletin board of the AMC.

"This one's been on my mind for awhile, and will undoubtedly ruffle some
feathers, but nevertheless, I'd be curious to get some response, both from AMC
members, Staff, and anyone else with an interest in the Whites. In brief: How
do people feel about SHUTTING DOWN the full-service huts in the Whites, and
either converting them to self-service facilities for the use of self-
supported, independent travelers, and INCREASING the number of back-country
campsites, thus encouraging more INDEPENDENT use of the Whites?"

The link: <A HREF="http://www.outdoors.org/BBS/Mountains-and-
Molehills/18x0.html">The Campsite: Mountains and Molehills</A>  You're
encouraged you to *check this out*  and read the original post in it's
entirety.

Not knowing all the facts it's difficult to form an opinion but from what I've
seen the full service huts may be actually be doing a dis-service to the WMNF
and to the independent hikers and thru-hikers alike.  For a fee, from $38 to
$50 for AMC members and thru-hikers, up to $60 for non-members which include
may include breakfast, dinner and lodging,  two to four thru-hikers may be
able to do a work for stay program per night, if needed.  For the most part,
the people that use the huts, carry nothing but clothes and a bottle of wine.
If you can neither afford the fee nor work for stay, you're forced to an
alternate area.  I'd like to see shelters for hikers, as they are along the
entire trail,  in the areas directly adjacent to the huts at a nominal fee.

I understand the AMC most likely needs this revenue, generated by the huts,
for trail programs and maintenance, but is it cost effective and a detriment
to the forest and the trail in this area.  I don't believe there's a need for
"Hiker Hotels" on the trail itself and do believe that self-service facilities
and other sources of revenue may be more appropriate.

Sly