Re: [at-l] Smaller backpack

> Hi Folks,
> I currently carry a North Face Exocet 2000ci backpack.  The attachments to
> the exterior usually are my z-rest, Western Mountaineer 20* down bag (size
> of a football) and my Bibler bivy (not much larger than a football).  With
> the lighter load I carry it hasn't affected my back with discomfort at all.
>  In 1979 I fractured my back in a motorcycle accident and in 1993 I
> ruptured a disc in my lower back and have nerve damage as a result of a
> motor vehicle accident.  So all totalled I had three back surgeries.  Buy
> the way any body want me to drive them some where?????????????

No offense, but no thanks... My back was already broken once...
I am glad to hear that someone with a history of back problems is out hiking.
There is hope for me yet... (well, maybe after my 1st few electric shock
treatments...  hmmm, can I bring my portable shock unit on the trail?)

> Since I began to carry less weight while backpacking I totally enjoy myself
> with no difficulty from the style of the backpack or its weight.
> My desire isn't to go faster or longer distances during a day.  Its to
> enjoy myself the entire day at my hiking pace.

I  agree, I used to backpack and run the same way.  Go as fast/slow as my body
dictates, don't force a pace that is too fast.

> I can see the benefits of carrying a larger backpack for those who want to
> store all their equipment inside the pack.  In the past I did the same.
> For now I'll pursue a different path.
> The great thing is we're all going into the woods and try out our own methods.
> Have a good one.
> Take care,
> John O

Take care,