Re: [at-l] Woodelf / shelters

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:05:53 EST DdTravi <DdTravi@aol.com> writes:
>Greetings, Woodelf, congratulations on your trip so far.  I am Tree
>Hugger and
>I am throughhiking in two years (when I complete Berry College). Is
>there any
>way you can prevent from getting to a shelter that isn't full?
>
>david travieso
>Tree Hugger

Hi Tree Hugger,
I think you'll find most hikers live by the rule, the shelter's not full
till everyone's inside. This is especially true in bad weather. Those
that don't probably don't know any better. Although I don't use shelter's
at nigh very much, a lot of people depend on them and a tent in a shelter
takes up a lot of room. Sometimes the better prepared move out to make
room for those without an alternative shelter (bivi/tent/tarp). I've
found most people tenting in a shelter will offer to "make room" even
though it's obvious they don't want to, "after all they were there
first". Another problem is large groups at shelters, this is much more
prevalent than tents in the shelter. In my opinion this is due to
ignorance or poor leadership, but that all I'll say about groups (I've
just made a lot of people mad). My best advice is to try and avoid
popular shelters during times of high hiker numbers, carry some kind of
alterative shelter if you can and if you need the shelter space, ask
nice, most people will make room. For those who don't know, tents and
large groups don't belong in shelters and make room for your friends
(they may pass out goodies after supper).  Alright people light the fire
if you don't agree.  :-)

woodelf