RE: [at-l] Down Bags and Dryloft

Kahlena

Gore-Tex is no longer sold in raw format. (They claim that end users don't
know how to properly sew and seal items made with their material.)  I made
my first Gore-Tex parka 18 years ago. I've made several parkas' and
bivy-sacks. I still wear the parka on almost daily basis here in the rainy
Pacific Northwest.

I do understand that some of the material may be obtained through the black
market. There is another product called Ultrix that is available. I believe
that it's made by 3M. I don't know if it's a good as Gore-Tex, but we've
had no problems with it. It worked fine all summer and it shed water off
our sleeping bags quite effectively.

You can purchase it from a number of suppliers. We used the Rain Shed in
Corvallis, Oregon. They have a catalog and do most of their business mail
order. They also supply most of the material used by Ray Jardine.

The coated rip-stop nylon weighs about 2.5 oz per sq. yard. You will often
see people label it as 1.9 oz coated rip-stop and not include the weight of
the coating. There are lighter coated materials available. You can purchase
the material used in Stephenson's tents.