RE: [at-l] Down Bags and Dryloft

Kahlena wrote >>Good question.  I agonized about the down/synthetic deal
before I bought my down bag.  And then, I started into the lite weight
thing and tarping. On a rainy trip last year, I could feel the fog/mist in
my bag.  Not a big deal on a weekend trip with decent temps, but it is a
concern.
So is dryloft worth it.?  Maybe I'd look at an overbag.......Anyone? <<

Last summer before starting out on the AT I decided to replace our bags
with lighter ones. If money was no object, I'd have gone for the Feather
Friends dry-loft down bags. But when buying for three, cost is a definite
issue. Since we were planning on a tarp, extra protection from side driven
rain was needed. I ended up making my own bags with synthetic fill,
Gore-Tex like top and coated rip-stop bottom. Since we were only planning
on summer use, the bags were designed for temperature range of low 40's.
 However we did have an occasional night in the 30's with no discomfort.

If I had to do it again, I'd use down as the fill. No synthetic restores
its loft after repeated compression like down. Plus you'd get another 10 to
15 degrees for the same weight. For light weight (tarp camping), the
dry-loft is worth the extra cost.

Combined with a well pitched tarp, a dry-loft bag should minimize the need
to carry a (24 oz.) bivy-sack. Note that dry-loft doesn't replace the
bivy-sack. You still need a good tarp and ground cloth.

For extra weight reduction. You can have the sleeping bag custom made with
no insulation in the bottom. When compressed, the insulation on the bottom
offers minimal if any protection. Just make the bag a little bigger to fill
in the gaps and use a good pad.

Ron "Fallingwater"

www.fallingwater.com/at97