Re: [at-l] Down Bags and Dryloft

<< Of those people with Down  bags how many of you have dryloft
 (goretex equivalent) as opposed to just a nylon taffeta type outer shell?

I have carried a down bag for over 6 years now.  I chose not to buy a bag with
a dryloft shell, due to the obvious cost factor.  I chose a microfibre shell
instead, which is more moisture resistant than nylon taffeta or ripstop.  It
easily repels the moisture from dew when I choose to sleep under the stars
instead of in a tent or tarp.  Most of my hiking has been done in the southern
Appalachians, so there is plenty of rain and generally wet weather.  I carry
it in a small drybag.  It has never gotten wet, even when my pack and the rest
of me did when I slipped fording a waist deep stream on the Ozark Highlands
Trail.  Just be careful with it.  Nothing sleeps a comfortably as down.

Good Hiking
Jim
hopsing