[at-l] re: superlight baby!

Jason wrote:

> At 10:53 PM 1/7/98 -0600, Pete Fornof wrote:
> (snip)
> >As an aside, when I purchased the pack at my local outfitter, they asked
> >me what length of hikes I would be taking. I told them anywhere from a
> >week to two weeks on the AT. They told me that this pack was way too
> >small for that kind of trip. I asked them if they'd ever heard of
> >resupply on the AT. They then asked me how often I did that. I told them
> >every 4 to 5 days. They said the pack was still too small. Of course,
> >these youngsters were full of themselves and obviously thought this old
> >40 something guy had no idea how to backpack. I heard them snicker and
> >tell other employees of my folly as I left the store. Oh, well.

> My wife and I have run into this attitude as well.  We hiked 700+ miles on
> the AT this summer in running shoes.  And people couldn't, wouldn't, and
> still don't believe us when we tell.  But it's especially "bad" at the
> backpacking stores.  Is this a line they are fed or just a way of thinking
> or what?  I guess to carry all the stuff that the industry wants us to buy
> in order to get out there, you just might need those big waffle stompers
> and monster load haulers.  But, at least on the AT, you do not.

Don't feel lonely - a lot of us have gotten that attitude.  And it's
pitiful, especially when it comes from someone who should know better.
We ran into an outdoor store manager in Tucson who was proud of carrying
an 8 pound tent - and flat out didn't believe that we wouldn't carry
more than 4 pounds of tent for the 2 of us. We didn't have a lot to say
to him after that. On the other hand, there are some local backpacking
store employees who welcome us and 'pick our brains' when we come into
the stores. I think it's an individual thing - probably depends a lot on
their specific personal levels of comfort, fear and ignorance. Sounds
like a personal problem to me -- theirs.

Walk softly - and lightly,
Jim