[at-l] Neels Gap and the snow

Just a brief report of fun down south for day hikers.

I took my 19 year old daughter and my hiking friend Ray to Neels Gap
today for a day hike. We had a bit of snow a few days ago, long melted
in Atlanta. We got up to Dahlonaga by 8:30AM, still 18 degrees, and made
our way up to the gap, finding several cars parked and the shop open and
much better stocked than our local REI. After a few gloves and other
warming purchases, we elected to head North toward Leveltop rather than
the steeper ascent to Blood Mountain. We had heard that the ice on Blood
made the going treacherous.

There was a good deal of snow in the gap, with more just a few hundred
yards up the trail - 5 to 6 inches of very dry and powdery snowball
material. Never trust an adolescent to avoid such an opportunity to
spread cheer and wetness among her elders!

The trail was well hiked, with obvious heavy travel. We found no problem
keeping our way. There were several hikers, mostly day hikers as us, but
a few Southbound folks, although not completing a thru-hike from the
comments made.

We enjoyed extremely clear skies, great views, good times, and lunch up
the mountain. This was a very easy hike, my first in any significant
snow. The way down was harder due to the slippery ice, but no injuries
experienced. Crampons might have been nice, but no need for snowshoes in
our fair state.

I suspect that a lot of folks were out there trying out Christmas
presents. I wanted to try out my Western Mountaineering Puma bag, but
couldn't find anyone else willing to dare the extreme cold. No lessons
learned, just good fun!

enjoy

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA