No Subject

> Ok, Gang.
>
> Just how important are snowshows?  I hate to buy a pair for that once in
> a few years usage, but, so far noone rents them.

I'm in the same boat.  Everytime I hit a gear store I find myself fondling the
snowshoes.  But they are pricey.  I did attend a seminar on winter hiking
which featured a hands on, or I guess I should say 'on foot' chance to try
them out.  I'd never be called an athlete, but I do hike for a couple hours
almost everyday, up and down hills.  But even a half mile hike in snowshoes
introduced me to muscles (re: aches) that I didn't know I had.  I know I
wouldn't want to rely on them for a hike unless I had spent some conditioning
time aforehand.
I like snow hiking.  Plowing through even a foot  (I'm short) is fun.
But it reeeaaallly slows yu down, so adjust you mileage.  22 inches is not
something I'd tackle.  The time I'd really want snowshoes is later in the
year when the snow crusts to the point where it will support your weight
5 out of 6 steps.  It's that sixth step, when your foot plunges down about
six inches is the real knee breaker....no fun at all.
If you do decide to bite the bullet and buy some, please come back and
share what you've learned.  I would, based on my seminar experience.
recommend trying to borrow a couple pair to try them out.  While I
loved the look of the wooden type that you can make from a kit,
(look kindof like a tennis racket) I found them heavier and less stable that
Than the new metal style.  BTW..my difficulty may be based on my
gait which is a bit duck footed.  YMMV        Kahley