[at-l] Keds

As with Kayley's family, ours was sitting around the table at Christmas
dinner and the talk turned to hiking. And then came the dumb question. I
suspect it's even too dumb to be protected by the "there are no dumb
questions" rule.

My brother-in-law said he was going lighter this year and joked that he
had decided to ditch his boots and wear black, high-top Keds like Grandma
Gatewood wore.

My sister-in-law and I ignored the going lighter business and jumped on
the obvious. Grandma Gatewood was no more likely to wear black, high-tops
than any other woman or child of her time. She had surely worn regular
old white low-tops like everybody else.

The b-in-l refuses to believe us though and requires greater authority
and/or superior knowledge. Can anybody help?

Thanks a bunch.
Sally (who got trail guides and maps for Christmas--yay!)