[at-l] hello from a semi-novice

I just found this newsgroup while searching for basic information on teh AT.
i have done some backpacking and camping before but never for an extended
period of time.  Well, the point is i start medical school next year and
have decided that there would be nothing better to prepare my mind and no
better way to spend a month or so of my summer than to hike the AT from
somewehre in NY north to New Hampshire or where ever i end up.  Any general
advice, where to get maps, interesting stories, or suggestions will be more
than welcome.

thanks
Benjamin