[at-l] Hunting at Mt. Rogers (in Va.)

Hi kiddies,
The Nov./Dec. issue of the Appalachian Trailway News on page 31 states
that hunting is not allowed in the Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area.
This is NOT true, I just called the M.R.N.R.A. headquarters to verify
this. They tell me that hunting is still allowed and the area is as
heavily hunted as ever. They went so far as to recommend that this area
be avoided during "gun" season. It has been my experience in the past
that the Thanksgiving weekend at Mt. Rogers as the end of deer season and
doe days to boot, is not a safe place to hike. While I know of no
accidents in this area, I have counted as many as 35 hunters in a single
day, most on or near the trail. I hope this news doesn't affect too many
hiker's plans, it does change mine though.

woodelf