Re: [at-l] water bottles

>I've been following the iodine controversy.  This may be of help.
>
>The main problem with iodine at low temps is:
>
>1) the colder the water, the lower the saturation level for any solute
>     (the less iodine can mix with the water-- for non chemistry majors)
>2) as anyone who likes sweetened iced tea can attest ;-),
>     the colder the water, the longer it takes for the solute (iodine, or
>sugar)
>     to dissolve.
>*but*, enough iodine will dissolve, even at 0 degrees, to kill impurites in
>the water that the main problem is allowing the iodine enough time to
>dissolve.
>
>therefore, IMHO, as long as you wait a full 20min or so, and shake
>vigorously, low temperatures should not prevent you from using iodine to
>purify your water.  I hope this clears up some confusion.
>
>Nat
Actually, if yoyu can place that cold water bottle inside ofd your jacket it
will stay warmer.  But it is good advice, let the iodine stay in solution longer
before you add your vitamin C or whatever to remove the excess iodine.  Vitamin
C is very soluble in water, even near freezing, so you should not have any
problems.

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl
rdudley@arserrc.gov