Re: [at-l] water bottles

Jim Mayer wrote:

> This thread seems to have elements of smelly bottles, winter camping,
> and
> iodine purification.  I'd like to raise a caution about using iodine
> in the
> winter.  Much of what I've read says that the effectiveness of iodine
> drops
> off significantly in very cold water.  In (literally) ice water I
> wonder if
> it works very well at all.
>
> Since iodine is iffy in very cold weather, and since filters freeze
> up,
> most winter campers I talk to just rely on boiling their water.
>
> By the way, when melting snow, the preferred method seems to be to
> always
> add snow to liquid water to avoid burning holes in your pots.  One
> trick is
> to never finish off the last of your water... keep it as a starter for
> the
> next batch.  Also, don't use the "pink" snow that smells like
> watermellon.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm just getting interested in winter camping, but am
> definitly
> not an expert.
>
> -- Jim Mayer

Jim,

I just got back from a winter hike. Used iodine in lieu of my Sweetwater
filter. I learned my lesson in 96 about using a filter in cold weather.
1) It's a hassle, 2) Filter freezes up, 3) Hands get cold pumping and
messing with wet hoses, etc.

It's been 5 days since my hike and I don't have giardia, so the iodine
must have worked. I just followed the directions on the bottle and
waited 20 minutes or more after treating the water. I also took a chance
and drank directly from a spring at Big Spring shelter. The water was
coming directly out of the mountain and a guy from the Nantahala Hiking
Club doing trail maintenance there said he'd never been sick from it. I
normally don't take chances on water, but this water didn't have a
chance to be contaminated.

Of course, we boiled our water for cooking.

--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com