Re: [at-l] water bottles

Hi All,

Nalgene water bottles are going to have a funny smell and taste for a
long period of time.  Nalgene is a polymer and is fairly rigid, so it
is blended with a plasticizer.  The plasticizer give the water its
distinctive smell and taste.  Eventually all of the plasticizer will
leach out of the bottle and the bottle will turn brittle.

The bottles are approved for use as water bottles etc. and the
plasticizer will not harm you.  I would recommend soaking the bottle
overnight in warm water and dish washing liquid.  This will cut down
on the smell and taste.

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl
rdudley@arserrc.gov
Heavy rain tonoight and tomorrow.  Maybe I can hike Sunday.