Re: [at-l] water bottles

I just remembered another aspect of the Nalgene bottle question.  I first
said I would leave the nalgene at home and use only soda bottles, but I can
think of a couple of places where the water was running at just a trickle.  I
was using iodine tabs since my filter didn't operate.  This wasn't a problem
where I could catch the water falling over the rocks (you can usually get
pretty clear water with no junk in it), but if it's just a tiny little
trickle you will get more debris in the water and need to filter it through a
bandana to catch the stuff you don't want to drink.  In those cases I poured
the untreated water from the soda bottle into the nalgene which had a bandana
over the opening as a filter.  Then I put the iodine tablet into the nalgene
and it was fine.  Bottom line is, I'd still want to carry a wide-mouth bottle
or jar such as a nalgene.

For those who will be using iodine tabs but don't like the taste or yellow
color of the water, carry a few vitamin C tablets with you.  Just a pinch of
the tablet will immediately clear up the water and the taste.  Don't use too
much vitamin C or your water will have a citrus taste.  Also, wait at least
30-60 minutes before adding the C so that the iodine can do its magic.  I was
always amazed at the instant change from amber cloudy water to beautiful
crystal clear.

Gypsy