Re: [at-l] scaring bears?

Jeff,

Bears were a problem in that section this summer. I didn't have any trouble
myself, though I saw several, but one thru-hiker, Mr. Clean, was chased by
a bear at Brink Road Shelter. I got this firsthand from him. Evidently he
was eating lunch in the shelter and a bear showed up. He put away his food
and left the shelter. The bear went in, then came out and started following
him. He tried to scare it off, making noise and jumping up and down, but it
was not deterred, so he began walking down a blue blaze trail in the
direction of a road. The bear followed. He began walking faster. The bear
followed faster. He broke into a run when he got within sight of some
houses, and the bear broke into a run too. He ended up vaulting over a
fence into someone's yard--the woman saw the bear and let him inside.

Mr. Clean was a former Marine, I think, and a wilderness survival
expert--very calm guy, rarely ruffled by anything, but this experience
spooked him. Not enough to make him reconsider his thruhike, though. Last
time I saw him, he was in a bivvy sack on top of Katahdin, where he was
planning to spend the night and then begin a flip-flop hike southbound.

--Rhymin' Worm