[at-l] Re: ATML Quicktime Movies of the trail

At 10:40 PM -0500 11/11/97, Carolyn Thalman wrote:
>I'm taking a computer graphics class.  One of the assignments is to make
>a time capsule of a culture or time period - using a variety of graphics
>formats.  Does any one have any information about web sites that have
>movies, videos or VR movies of the trail?  I wouldn't mind any ideas for
>things that I could include in the time capsule.  thanks
>
>Carolyn Thalman

Hi Carolyn, Here are a few suggestions since many parts of the AT are in
different
national parks:

a. the Appalachian Trail Conference  http://www.atconf.org/,
b. the digital library of Congress http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.html
c.  the National Park Service http://www.nps.gov/coop/parkstore/
d.  National Parks electronic book store Operated by the Mesa Verde Museum
Association
http://www.NationalParkBooks.org/bin/webdbc.dll/ANP/books/htx/&/books/anphome.ht
e. Great Smoky Mountains Natural History Association
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/nhahome.htm
f. National Park Foundation  http://www.nationalparks.org/
g. the maintaining clubs   See http://member.aol.com/hikenet
     (pick clubs option and look under each club also look under the
stories section <AT> )
h. Also there are many great books on the history of the AT and look at
their reference
      material listings.

Here are some phone numbers as sometimes is fun to have a live conversation:

For general park information and park brochures, call:
                                    National Park Service Public Inquiries
(202)
                                    208- 4747

                                    For questions regarding media
relations, or a specific
                                    concern involving a particular park,
call: National Park
                                    Service Public Affairs (202) 208-6843

Send your questions to the National Parks Service historian on
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/askhist.htm

Hope the above list gives you some interesting leads...  Also try a
bookstore to see
what CD-ROMS they might have or your local library.  Take a trip to
Washington DC
and visit the National library...

Sounds like terrific research project ....  Fortunately or unfortunately,
the AT is pretty famous...