Re: [at-l] smokies

Ken Bennett wrote:

> Hi, all--

> 1. Can anyone recommend your favorite 3-day, 25-35 mile loop hike in the
> park, preferably using some of the AT?

Unless You stick to the corners of the AT in the park, you will be hard
pressed
to find an AT loop that can be done in 2 nights.  Except my memory seems
to be
telling me that derrick's Knob shelter could be possible. I'd have to
look at my maps.
Up to Birch shelter & down to fontana is good. ANY hike in the smokies
is Great.
Camp at #13 from 20 mile RS also makes a great short loop.

> 2. Are the car campgrounds still open? I will probably drive down Friday
> afternoon, and need a cheap place to sleep for the night. How about a
> cheap-but-decent motel?

The "closed for winter" campgrounds usually close oct. 31.  there are a
few that are
 open all yr.  I ussually pull into the campground/ranger-station
parking-lots/trail-heads
and sleep in my car.  Fountana Dam parking lot is great for this to.
Not to mention the Fontana Hilton.  Or, you could try Mtn. Mama's.  THey
have bunks($7?), showers, food, and a shuttle service.

Have You considered a short shuttle?

> 3. How about an opinion on a specific hike: Start at Davenport Gap, hike
> south on the AT to Cosby Knob shelter for the first night, then on to Big
> Cove Gap  and left on the Balsam Mtn trail to the Laurel Gap shelter for the
> second night, then any one of several trails back to the car (Gunter Fork,
> Sterling Ridge, Big Creek trails). That's 8 miles, 14 miles, and about 12
> miles on day 3. Is this reasonable given the elevation gain and the short
> day length? (I'm in okay shape, and these distances wouldn't bother me in
> central VA.)

Sterling ridge is my choice here.  Sounds like fun! The miles in the
smokies are harder than normal. Okay (?) shape would concern me for > 10
miles, but, then shape is relative.  However,
the last two legs do contain rather flat sections.

> 4. I still need reservations for the shelters, right?

Always.

> How crowded is the park in November?

I've seen shelters full over thanksgiving week.  Otherwise, not bad.

> How's the weather?

Cold at night. But, I've worn shorts in the day in Nov. Have you watched
the weather channel lately?  Hope you like cold.

> The bears?

Maybe.  But, its kinda late.  Always secure your food.

> Okay, so I'm dropping down onto my knees and begging for information. Thanks
> in advance.

You're Welcome.  Feel free to email me directly with questions.  I love
the Smokies.  I've been
there many times.   In fact I'm planning a 10 day Smokies AT hike for
Jan.  Talk about cold. I'm
hoping for a LITTLE snow.   Anyone interested in tagging along for a few
days?

t.

ps. there is an excellent book called "hiking trails of the smokies".
You should get it.  Try calling the smokie mtn. natural history society.
They're a good group.  The internet has a few GSMNP sites, too.