[at-l] Horse Wars in PA

I am forwarding this to ask those of you that may hike in PA on
trails other than the AT.  If you feel as I do about the damage of
horses to the trail and their lack of trail maintenance,( Horseshoe
Trail excluded) you will have a venue to express your opinion.

I for one would hope that you can take the time to help us support
the trails of PA for all hikers.  Sorry  no specific e-mail address
has been given for the comments.

(see below

Rich Scanlon
"Dead Man Walking "
KTA Webmeister
KTA - "Keeping Trails Alive"
rms@acsworld.net
http://www.reston.com/kta/kta.html
"If you are too busy to hike, you're too busy."

URGENT NOTICE

PENNSYLVANIA EQUESTRIANS DEMAND
USE OF HIKING TRAILS

As you may already know, the Pennsylvania Bureau of
Forestry has
published for public comment a revised set of rules and
regulations for
the State Forests.  Public comments on these rules are being
accepted
until November 12, 1997.  As published, the proposed rules prohibit
the use of horses on designated hiking trails "unless posted as being
open to such use."

It has just come to our attention that equestrian
groups in the state
are flooding the Bureau of Forestry with form letters
demanding that the
rules be changed to permit the use of horses on all
hiking trails.
Furthermore, the letters are said to be claiming that hikers
have no
objection to such use.

You and your members are urged to
communicate with the Bureau of
Forestry, expressing your views of this
matter.  If the hikers of
Pennsylvania are not heard from, the opinions of
the horseback riders
are likely to win out by default.

Comments are being
accepted by mail only, and should be sent to:
Bureau of Forestry
P.O. Box
8552
Harrisburg, PA  17105-8552

Remember that the deadline for receipt of
comments is November 12,
1997.  Call if you have any questions.

 Ed Beck,
President
 Keystone Trails
Association
 412/469-2588
 EnBhikers@aol.com

ALSO INTERESTING MEETING FOR THOSE IN PA

Hikers

A usually reliable source has informed me the equestrians are planning
a Trojan Horse operation at the Tiadaghton State Forest round table
meeting on Thursday 6 November.  The equestrians will demand access to
designated hiking trails.  We must get as many hikers as possible to
attend this meeting.

Meeting will be at 6:30 pm at the Sheraton Inn in downtown
Williamsport.
 Take US 15 south exit from US 220.

The horses are well along in taking over the Susquehanock Trail in
Potter County.  After repeated incursions the volunteer maintainers
are quitting because they don't want to maintain a trail for horses.
The hayburners don't plan to maintain this or any other trail
themselves.  They plan to get a hayburner license (it is not known on
which part of the animal this license will be displayed) and let the
state maintain their trails like the snowmobiles do.  The hayburners
have a pet legislator.

We could meet at the Triangle Tavern (Faxon exit) for supper before
the meeting.