No Subject

My theory is that minorities aren't far enough away from poverty to
want to go out into the wilderness, leaving all comforts behind.  I
believe they still remember the lack of conveniences in their earlier
years, or have heard their elders talk of leaner times.  When I lived
in Cincinnati my kids played on little league bb teams with many
children of Appalachian parents.  I remember getting into a discussion
one time with several of the parents regarding camping.  The attitude
of most was:  "hell, I grew up having to use an outhouse, why do I
want to do that now?  I'll "camp out" at a Holiday Inn,
thank you."  I have found the same attitude held by black friends here
in the Washington area - people who picked cotton in their youth and
didn't have very many of the conveniences we take for granted.  In a
few generations many of these people, white and black, will be
comfortably settled into the middle class and their children can
reject comfort and convenience to get back to
nature and follow outdoor pursuits.

I am a white male, and my parents were sharecroppers most of their
lives.  However, I enjoy hiking, backpacking, and camping.  In fact,
there's no place I'd rather be than the woods.  Both of my parents
feel the same way - or rather they would if they weren't too old to be
doing any backpacking.  I don't think poverty has much to do with it.

Just my .02 cents.

Scotty W. Davis
sdavis@hiwaay.net

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan
 an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a
 building, write asonnet, balance Accounts, build a wall, set
 a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
 cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
 pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
 efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects."
-----  Robert A Heinlein