[at-l] re: [AT-L] Handicapped Access

 Actually, I almost qualify as handicapped, but to a lesser degree.
 I have had 2 knee surguries, my back has been broken, I have bulging disks,
 missing pieces of vertabrae, pinched nerves.  My wife also feels that I am
 handicapped for being a man, but that's another thread...
 Did I mention  that I also ran a marathon in 1990?  I guess that blows my
 chance of  getting away with using llamas on my thruhike....

 Anyway, lately my back is giving me so much trouble that I can not run at all.
 Neither can  I carry much of any weight on my back (yet),  But I still look
 forward to a thruhike someday, on my terms, whatever they are at the time.
 I just want to "walk from Georgia to Maine" on the AT.
 Due to my physicall limitations I can't carry a 60-70 lb pack, I have to
 carry much less weight.  Since I won't  fit into the purist definition of a
 thruhiker, does that mean I am less of  a thruhiker than some musclebound
 young guy/gal who carries a 90 lb pack the whole way?  I think  not, my load
 will be far heavier to bear, not knowing if  my body will make it all  the
 way to Maine.

 Does that mean that my thuhike is any less of a challenge, does that make me
 any less  of a thruhiker, because I will carry less weight?  Here I am sure
 the opinions will vary, but I don't care.  I will be doing this hike for
 myself, not to please the rest of the world (is there a world beyond the ATL
 & ATML?).  So if it fits my definition of a thruhike, then that is all that
 matters.

 Remember, don't load yourself down with more purist baggage than your
 body will let you carry.

 Hike your own hike.

 Walk Gently (the joints grind less),

 Russ

 PS Do Lekis make a good substitute for a cane? <VBG>
 TrailAt@aol.com
 rld@cartoon.lc.lucent.com