[at-l] Primus Stove Question

Hiyall,
 A friend who's starting a thru of the PaMST asked to borrow my
Zzip Stove.  Smart man <<G>>.  In exchange, he left me his Primus
and a new can of propane/butane ? but no intructions.  The thing
looks pretty straight forward...just screw it onto the the tank, but
I need to know if the burner must stay attached to the tank while
in the pack.  Can I remove it without losing the gaz.  Anything else
I should know before I toast myself will be apreached.  Thanks..Kahley
PS..anyone know how long one of these cannisters last?