Re: [at-l] Missing Mountain Bikers (was Rain Delay)

Most agencies do not like to deal with "off the street" volunteers
because they do not know the capabilities and experience of these
individuals.  They do not want to find themselves in the position
of having to rescue rescuers.
Around 1970, there was a situation in this area where a kid was lost
and a bunch of us went to the area to volunteer.  After being turned
away we formed a search and rescue group and advised the various
authorities of our existence and arranged for training beyond our
normal woods skills.  After that, our help was welcomed.
Rich