Re: [at-l] Cotton Kills -- Please Explain

MarvWelte@aol.com wrote:

> Cotton kills.  I understand that this is because wet cotton conducts heat
> away from the body due to the water, that wet cotton loses it's insulating
> properties.  Leading to hypothermia.
>
> So, why doesn't wet wool, wet Coolmax, wet polypropylene, wet et cetera kill?
>  Do they still insulate when wet?
>
> I believe that I want to get cotton out of my hiking wardrobe, but I am not
> certain that I understand a scientific reason why I want to.

I think once you try synthetic garments you will never go back to
cotton.

How it works:  These materials are said to be "hydrophobic" (araid of
water) and don't hold much water at all when wet.  Because it holds less
water it's able to dry quicker and is lighter to carry if you're not
wearing it - much lighter than wet cotton clothes.  I believe some wools
have a natural oils that help to repel water.

I started wearing Coolmax T-shirts for biking and hiking this summer.
It actually does keep you more comfortable.  You get more evaporative
cooling if you break a sweat when its hot out.  And because you're not
wearing a soggy t-shirt, you're much more comfortable if the temperature
drops.

"Try it, you'll like it!
                                             .oooO
                                             (   )        Oooo.