[at-l] Tarp size and construction

Hiya all,

Looking for feed back on the following:
Given..At 5'4', I feel I want 7ft of dry space, lenghtwise under my
tarp.
Given..I may want to hole up for a period under my tarp so I need to
be able to sit up.
Given..based on my experiences last summer, (when it actually rained
in PA.) the last foot, for sure, and depending on rain intensity and
wind velocity, the last two feet of the open end/ends of a tarped
area are subject to rain/splash.

Lowering the end of the tarp from which the rain is coming can reduce
the rain/splash zone, but wind direction can change.

7ft.+2ft.+2ft.=11ft.

Under this configuration, the 2ft on either end of the tarp is
wasted.  So that's 2x2x however wide your tarp is of wasted weight.

I thought, closing in the ends might actually save weight in the
long run.  Plus provide better wind protection.
This is the reason for the Tyvek/glue quest.  By cutting
triangular pieces and attaching them 3 in. in from the edge of the
tarp, about 3in. down from either side of the ridge line, and
again at 1ft. and the bottom, the actual tarp size could safely
be reduced to 8ft long rather than 11ft.  The three in. inset
would provide a protected overhang to allow air circulation.
The mid point attachment would allow a bit of a view in gentler
rains. The triangles I use are of a greater angle than my typical
tarp angle. EX.  Tarp angle of 90 degree, end panel of 140 degrees.
I used my staffs to provide a 'ridge for the end panels so they
are shaped like a vestibule resulting in a six sided structure,
which channels the rain further from me.  Most of this is conjecture
since it refuses to rain so I can test it.

My current glue plan is pieces of the double sided carpet tape
and stick velcro to it.

Geez, I just read over this thing, and despite my best efforts,
I can barely make sense of it.<<sigh>>  If you can, and have any
comments, I'd sure like to hear them.  Thanks     Kahley