[at-l] Re: philosophical

Mike wrote:

>so a thruhike doesn't bother my conscience, but the idea of thruhiking
>forever does.  but what have i done in the five years since?  i have
>mentored grade school kids, i recycle a little, i teach people outdoor
>recreation sports, and now i maintain a section of trail.  can't say i
>really practice what i think about preaching.  <sigh>  think i'll go
>for a
>hike...

Mike, my hat is off to you. I have logged on several times today to see
what comments had been posted re the selfishness question. I had to
chuckle at Chase's preference to be hiking.

I work in main stream American business. What am I accomplishing? I am
putting money in the bank and hopefully securing a retirement that will
allow me to do something meaningful......like help educate kids and
adults or help maintain the AT and other such places. Our CEO send out a
note this morning stating that our third quarter numbers were "solid."
However, he when on to say that he was sure that none of us wanted solid
number rather we all wanted "excellent" numbers. He must have a mouse in
his pocket.

I am married, we have four children. They are grown now, the "baby" is in
college. As I come to the end of my career and look back on my work life,
I see things with that hind sight 20/20 advantage. I didn't make bad
decisions, I just didn't make the best ones. The fondest memories our
family has are of the time we spent together. These memories are of us,
not the things I accumulated over the years. My career actually took time
away from my family. It also took time away from the world around me. I
feel that I owe my family and my fellow creatures something. I have gain
so many things and I wonder why me. My religious belief require me to
look beyond me and mine.

I have worked with kids and adults in various volunteer organizations as
well as contributed money to causes I thought were worth. But at 50 years
old and near the end (God willing) of my working career, I think things
have been out of balance. I wish I had given more time to things that
don't have a price tag. This summer I had to make some major changes in
my life in order to deal with stress ( trying to give our CEO really
excellent numbers). Some day my life will be over, what will remain? My
kids will remain, maybe some grandkids also. Other kids will be around.
The Trail will be here. I have this life only to do worth while things.
It sounds to me like being a mentor to kids and teaching others about the
out of doors and keeping up a section of the AT are worthy activities. My
hat is off to you.

When I retire in 2002, our youngest son and I want to thruhike. After
that I would like to work in some form of education related to nature.
I'll have to get another job but not a career. I want to be able to work
for something more than a "bottom line."  Hopeful