[at-l] Philosophy

Those of us pushing 50 (14 months away) who have never done their thru
hike can look back and see the missed opportunities.  My best was in
April 1970 when I got out of the Army and had to wait till September to go
back to college.  In those days, however, a thru hike was something much
rarer and too large (in my mind at the time) to consider.  Instead, I bought
a new car (payment and all) got a job and come September went to school at
night.  I was able to spend a lot of time on the trail but mainly weekends
and vacations.  Now I have to be content doing the trail a few inches at a time
and living vicariously through those of you who are doing it for real.  Now I am
a self employed CPA with 2 kids (one in HS and one in her senior year of
college with plans for med school) and a chronically ill wife (lupis) so taking
more than a week or so off is totally out of the question.

My point was not to complain about my state of affairs but to say to anyone who
may have a window of opportunity not to let it close before you get into it.  In
about 15 years, unless I win the lottery first, if I am still capable, I hope
to be doing my thru hike.