[at-l] Hiking in general

Hi all,

I have read with interest all of the posting about philosophy of
hiking and I find it very interesting.  If I was in college I could
write a nice thesis on all of the postings.

I think that hiking alone is a very selfish activity.  I know, because
I hike a lot alone.  I wish that my wife would join me, but she doe
not enjoy hiking and she is really out of shape.  I have had my
daughter join me hiking occasionally, but she is in favor of short
distances and usually on flat terrain.  My son hates hiking, I think
that a three day hike on the Loyalsock trail did him in.  We did not
know that he had a major medical problem at the time and it was only
later that we learned he was diabetic.  His doctor encourages him to
hike, but he is turning into a computer geek.  So I end up hiking
alone.

In many ways I enjoy the solitude.  I am forced to hike only sections
of the trail and I usually hike in and then hike back out because ofd
transportation problems.  My real long hiking is with the boy scouts.
As I am slow I am usually the rear end sweeper.  It gives me a chance
to enjoy the scenery and to have some time to myself.  I manage to
think through problems and plan actions without any time pressures on
me.  I always come back from these hikes with a lot less stress.  It
has gotten so bad at work that I usually go on a 2 mile jaunt daily.

I would like to hike the whole AT someday, but at this time I realize
that I do not have the time to do it.  I did not have a missed
opportunity, life was just too full.  I will hike the trail in
sections, two weeks at a time.  Currently I am 52 and I should
complete the trail when I turn 64.  I will be able to retire when I am
67 and I will then complete the whole trail in one go around.  It may
happen earlier if I win the lottery :-)

I think that the most important aspect of hiking the AT or any long
trail is not completing the hike, but learning about yourself.  In
someways it is a selfish endeavor, but in other ways it is a great
learning experience.   However, if you need to complete the AT to make
you a 'better' person then maybe one is hiking the trail for the wrong
reason.

This weekend I will be heading from Furnace Gap to Lehigh Gap with a
group of scouts.  The weather will be cold, but sunny.  I will be tail
end Charlie.

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl
rdudely@arserrc.gov