[at-l] GreyHound Buss, MY Hike and ALDHA

HI Gang!

    Wow what an ordeal for my first buss ride to the Trail. I got on a
Greyhound buss at 2: AM in Danville, Virginia. on the way to my only
transfer in New York, my buss stopped in Richmond, VA. This is were my
luggage was removed from the bus I was riding. When I arrived in NY I
found out my backpack was missing. Not wanting to stay in NY, I
continued on and transferred to a Bonanza bus for my ride to Great
Barrington, MA. I had planned to get off the buss walk to South Egremont
road, get on the AT and walk to the ALDHA "Gathering" some 200 miles
away in Hanover, NH.
    Arrived in Great Barrington about 17:30 in the evening. I got a room
next to the Buss stop ..at the Berkshire Motor INN. The Inn is run down,
the pool is closed the sauna don't work, the place needs painting....but
its only $50. per night....$60. on the weekends. I called NY Port of
Authority. My back pack was said to be in Richmond at Greyhound
terminal.  I requested please send it by UPS or some other reliable
service. But no they said the only way they could send it was by Buss.
:-(
So now I think its on the way. I spend the next 5 days meeting every
buss that came to town, looking for my pack.
    After 6 days in GB here comes "Bleeder Guy" Beau Bushor to the
rescue! Beau drove over 8 hours round trip to loan me a back pack and
the gear I needed to do some walking. I sure was happy to see Beau. I
have probably spent less than 1/2 dozen days in a motel, in my life..up
to this 6 day episode. The next day I hit the trail...finally!!!:-)
    I had already walked out to the trail and day hiked the section
between South Egremont Road (Shays Rebellion Monument) and MA route 7.
so I continued on to Mt Wilcox south shelter about a 15 mile walk. The
spring was almost dry. I managed to get 1 liter of water 1/8 cup at a
time. An hour later I was able to get another liter. Porcupines have
really eaten up this shelter. They have gnawed away the last 4 inches of
floor, trying to get the salt soaked into the wood from hikers feet
resting here. I camped with O-Tim AT-87 and with Uncle Chauncy tenting
behind the shelter. Both were south bound Uncle Chauncy on south bound
thru hike.
    Day two:: I met another south bounder today, Flapper AT-84 still
doing sections he skipped. The little Primus stove I bought at AMES for
$16.95 worked like a charm. The Spring a Jerusalem road that had
survived the 95' drought was bone dry today. I got water at the yellow
house across the road. At Goose pond Cabin I met El Ves a southbound
thru hiker. We slept on the porch of the cabin.
October 03, 1997::: Today I didn't leave camp until 9:00, it started
raining soon afterwards. During the 19 miles to Kaywood Shelter twice it
stopped raining and I dried out completely. The rain started again in
time to assure I was soaked on arrival at the shelter.
October 04:::My left ankle or actually the small bone on the outside of
my foot was very sore today. I was not sure if the new boots (Vasque GTX
Gortex cloth and leather light weight $117. at Great Barring ton
outfitter) rubbed my foot an created the problem  or if I hurt it when I
slipped once. One thing was certain I was not going to make it to
Cheshire  before the post office closed Saturday at 12:00. Luckily a
trail angle in Dalton volunteered to drive me over to Cheshire and back.
:-)  this was the first time I have ever ridden in a $40,000 BMW...I
hope I didn't smell it up too bad. After picking up my 5 day food
package I continued on to Crystall mountain campsite. I have 5 days food
perhaps I will take a day or two off and rest my foot.
10/05/97::: nope couldn't sit around, had to move on. Last night a big
thunderstorm dumped 3/4 inch of rain...great sleeping weather. I walked
on to Noepels shelter were I met Roy and Ray two brothers section hiking
across MA. My foot felt better if I didn't lace up my boot.
10/06::: I only walked 6 miles today but great miles they were. I
stopped at Bascom Lodge on top of Greylock Mnt. $2 for a shower and a
towel. I guess some of you noticed i could have used one of those at
Hanover he he. Next I hit the grill for a few grilled cheese sandwiches,
soda and Earl Grey Tea. I called Beau and he agreed VT 9 was the best
place for me to meet him Thursday. At Wilbur clearing shelter tow South
Bound Thru hikers showed up after dark. I cannot remember their names. A
funny thing happened after they ate. I heard an Owl  whoooooO next these
fellows hollered back... HAYYYYYY. I heard them say it must be someone
searching for the trail. When I told them it was an Owl they at first
hesitated to believe me. HA HA that was fun.
10/07---INto Vermont today! and the junction of the Long Trail. At the
junction  of the Pine Cobble trail and the AT I met
Blades AT-91. Blades a surgeon by trades was begging his Northbound thru
hike of the Long Trail. Also met Redbud who headed out the Pine Cobble
trail. At Seth Warner Shelter two Southbound Long Trail Thru hikers
showed up. John and Ev were finishing the hike that Blades was starting.

10/08- today I walked to Congdon camp for lunch and to spend the night.
Its only 4 miles to VT9 were I will meet Beau at noon tomorrow. I met
ButterCup and companion..south bound thru hikers. Finally I met another
North bounder Snowbird arrived early afternoon. Snow Bird started in
Georgia last October, broke his foot in Waynsburo, VA. He spent the next
6 weeks in  a rented room in back of a gas station. After his foot
healed he continued on to where I met him. He intended to walk as far as
Hanover and return to Canada for the winter. Gypsy Man a south bound
thru hiker arrived later bring beer and bagels. He said go ahead dig in
I am going to the store again tomorrow anyway.