Re: [at-l] RE: Pur Hiker

> I also believe the City of Atlanta has released over a
> million gallons of raw sewage into the Chattahoochee over the past year
> alone.

Please, don't confuse the subject and confuse Atlanta's situation with a
real water and sewage treatment program. Also, be aware that 1M gallons
was probably only one of our spills in the past year. At least we
haven't created a way to send our sewage up the Chattahoochee to the
mountains, but I wouldn't suggest swimming or fishing in WestPoint Lake.

However, in the real world of backcountry water, the proper use of a
filter is probably adequate, and the use of iodine is probably just as
safe, although some risk of iodine overdosage is possible. There is
probably greater risk of GI pathology from food poisoning and hygiene
failures that from the water. I doubt that a purification system is
neccessary in the backcountry, although is probably a good idea for
visits to Atlanta and other third world countries.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta (lives in Cobb County with a different water/sewage system)