[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #422

at-l-digest wrote:

> at-l-digest         Saturday, October 11 1997         Volume 01 : Number 422

I purchased a PUR Hiker two years ago and am very pleased with it. I
haven't replaced the cartridge yet and I would estimate that I've
filtered about fifty gallons. It is so easy to use and light and so far
very dependable. One trick I saw in Montana was to carry a lightweight
nylon cloth "bucket". Fill it at the water source and then return to the
campsite and then filter your water into your bottles or bag while you
prepare dinner, then you have have leftover rinse water for your dishes
and some wash water too and you've limited your impact on the water
source area. Of course, the water source has to be of the sort you could
fill the bucket without making a big project out of it. The ultra
lightweight folks won't think much of the additional weight, but they
already don't spend much time worrying about food preparation or
cooking.
Another recent success on the camp stove has been the addition of
quesadillas to our menu. We have switched our bread source from pita to
tortillas. Tortillas make great PBJ or cheese sandwiches and they seem
to hold up better than pita. They also seem to be fairly widely
available now. We take dried mushrooms and onion and rehydrate them,
then saute. Toss the tortilla in our small frying pan in the hot olive
oil we sauted in. Then add some provolone cheese (it holds up the best
in the pack), the mushroom and onion on one half of the tortilla. Fold
over and cook a minute or two till brown. Salsa is now available in
small plastic tubs of just a couple of ounces. One will easily be enuf
for two quesadillas. We were able to prepare this meal in less time than
boiling water and cooking lipton noodles. A fine dish indoors and a
fantastic dish outdoors. Nothing like finishing off a great day with a
great easy meal.
Just food for thought.
Mongoose
Trenton, NC