[at-l] Bibler Hooped Bivy and Pur Hiker

Hi Folks,
I have a Bibler Hooped Bivy and at 24 ozs it's very light weight.  I've
slept in rain and snow storms and stayed dry and warm.  The one thing I did
find out about bivys is you have to use a sleeping pad inside the bivy.
This allows condensation not to develop inside the bivy.  I sure wish they
had told me this when I bought the bivy.  During a rain storm this past
spring I put the sleeping pad under the bivy and alot of condensation
developed inside the bivy.  It was a wet and cold night inside the bivy
that night.  All other times I put the sleeping pad inside the bivy I
experienced no condensation problems at all.  Being claustrophobic it took
several test runs using the bivy in my backyard before I became more at
ease and used it while backpacking.  Using this bivy  adds additional
warmth with my sleeping bag which is nice for those colder nights.  The
no-seeum netting is a added plus.  No set up is required at all.  Just take
it out of the storage back and lay it out and your all set.
I use a Pur Hiker and though it has been only used a few times so far it
works quite well.  To added additional time to the filter life.  I attach
paper coffee filters to the intake end of the hose and secure it with a
plastic tie.  It adds additional filtering and helps keep unwanted items
from the filter.  With less being absorbed by the filter it should extend
it's life.  I seen others use the Pur Hiker and heard no complaints to
date. Another suggestion with any filter is to store the intake hose away
from the the output hose.  This way you won't contaminate the hose that
goes into your water containers.  It would be a shame to go to all the
trouble of filtering your water and due to improper storage of the output
hose you contaminate your drinking water.  I store the Pur Hiker in it's
carrying case and the intake hose in a zip-lock baggie away from the filter.
Take care,
John O
                        John O
                E-mail johno@mail.monmouth