[at-l] Re: Hawk Mountain

>Hey everyone! I was able to talk my wife into taking this Friday off from
>work and taking a weekend tirp on the A.T. around Hawk Mtn. Can anyone tell
>me if the leaves have begun to turn?? Any other info would be helpful.
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>Eric
>aka trail name "Bad Ankles"

Eric, Just got back from doing the section from Port Clinton to Delaware
Water Gap. The leaves were turning but are not as far along as I thought
they might be. It's mostly the understory trees and ground covers that are
turned. But, I did see some spectacular Red Maples. By Friday you should
have better colors than I had. Had a great week, was lucky with the weather.
One night was down in the thirties. I made the side trip to the North
Outlook on Hawk Mtn.. It was mostly a trip down memory lane, my dad took me
there over thirty years ago. I was amazed that the visual memory I had of
the view was quite accurate. What was in my head was the view toward the
Pinnacle. Hawk Mtn might have been the first mountain I stood on. If you
take the side trail from the AT the last half is quite a rock scramble. I
would stash your pack as soon as you hit the rocks. All the shelters I
stayed in had water. After this trip I have now completed the AT in Pa..
This was my favorite section. Have a great trip!
                                            Lucky Star
                                       GA 89 > ME 21st century