Re: [at-l] backpacks??

Twas asked

> > hey all -- i'm planning to thru-hike the at this summer as i already
> > posted once before, but i need a new pack. any advice on good brands,
> > internal frame vs. external, places to go to buy one, etc. would be
> > greatly appreciated.

Do as I say not as I did.  First figure out what other gear you'll
need and beg borrow or buy it.  Then find a good outdoor shop with
many different packs and try them on with your gear.  This will
keep you from buying more pack than you need. Also, you will find out
if the filter you want will fit in the most logical pocket and a
dozen other quirks that show up when you carry your house on your back.

Like Steve, I recommend the lightest/smallest external frame pack you
can find.  I say this because I like the ex-frames more than the
internals.  They are cooler to carry, most often offer more pockets for
people like me that like to have easy access to the differeing stuff you
need day to day, and I think, can be lighter per cubic ounze of space.

Most of the AT is well groomed and you probably won't need the same
degree of balance required in climbing and other more challenging
trails, that is the chief good point of the internals.  I'm sure others
will disagree<<G>>.  A good suggestion is to rent a pack or three and
take each one out for a walk in the woods for a couple days to see how
they feel.  Standing in a store with sand bags in the pack can't really
compare to hiking with it full of gear for a couple days.  When you
have some experience, your body will know the right pack as soon
as you put it own....or so I've  heard<<<G>>>.

If the zippers were heavier grade, I'd give a total thumbs up to the
Camptrails McKinely available from Campmore   http://www.campmor.com/
I've put hundreds of miles on my Mckinley and like it alot.  It has
a little brother, the Adjustable II that I'm currently considering.
Although, I have never had any trouble with the zippers on my
pack, I can see this may be a weakness.

Why do I say don't do as I say?  Because I bought the McKinley
used....after ordering and returning two other packs via mail order.
It would have been cheaper for me to drive to a good gear store
than pay the return postage/insurance on the first two attempts.
In the end,I just got lucky.  Hope you do too!!!  Kahley

PS....The K2 is OFF my wish list if it weighs more than 5lbs.
Just waaayyy toooo heavy!!!