[at-l] Re: Standing Indian Weekend

At 21:35:52 -0400 10/6/97, Bill Thorneloe wrote:

>Hello all. I went on my second semi-major weekend hike on the AT with a
>veteran section hiker and another friend active in Scouting. We left
>Atlanta Thursday evening, arose and gradually made our way to the
>Standing Indian Campground and chose the Lower Ridge Trail as our means
>to Standing Indian Mountain.
>
>I read the Topo, thought we were into a 5 mile ascent with a few steep
>slopes early, and read that this was not a good trail for "solitude." I
>was concerned to see the trail marker state "More Difficult".

Well Bill, of the many ways to get to Standing Indian Mountain, you
definitely took the most demanding.  If you do it again, try the Kimsey
Creek Trail to Deep Gap, and then the AT to the top.  It is more scenic and
easier.

>As I had the Pur Filter and the greatest thirst, I went for water. The
>guide book refers to one 0.1 mile from the Lower Ridge Trail and AT
>intersection, and another hiker with daughter assured me that it was
>"obvious". LESSON 1: One man's obvious is another man's lost in the
>woods.

As you discovered, the trail to the spring is only a few yards from where
the Lower Ridge Trail intersects the AT.  The climb down and  back up seems
like a tenth of a mile however.

>I dutifully wandered down the path looking for this obvious path to a
>reliable spring. I noticed several brown/orange bars on trees on the
>north side of the AT, and a few signs about a Wildlife Management area.
>Two trees were very close with these bars. I saw no clear path, but this
>was the most "obvious" sign yet!
>I am certain that we made at least a few errors. Would someone enlighten
>me just what those brown/orange bars were for? They wrap around the tree
>halfway, not like a vertical blaze.

Good question.  My recollection is that they represent blazes for another
trail that is coincident with the AT in that section.

I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay on the Mountain.  Did you stay
in the grassy area at the view point?  The sunset and sunrise from there
are fantastic.

Frank in Palm Bay, FL