[at-l] ultralight / Dana Packs / Will Strickland

will wrote:

>>>   I can't harp enough on the quality of Dana packs, I just
bought my second one two days ago (a 2200 CI daypack, the Shadow Peak) and
I love them.   <<<

also read another of your recent posts saying you bought a second
terraplane to use for your next thru hike.  plus your gear list.

so my question is, why not use the shadow peak for your thru hike?  gotta
save 3lbs right there in pack weight.

but i know where you're coming from.  i hiked with a mtnsmith professional,
circa 6000 cu ins, and (for me) it is the best thing i have ever put on my
back, dana's don't quite fit me right.  it is far more comfortable than any
other pack, even my 2200 cu "ultralight" lafuma which weighs 1.5 lbs.  BUT,
i have rarely used it since, because of its weight, about 6.5lbs.  when
you're carrying a max of 30 lbs with 10 days of food (yes, i believe it can
be done for a thru-hike), then a large pack with super suspension is not
necessary - anything with a decent hip belt feels good at that weight.

so, just curious, and maybe give you something to think about   :)

mike
ke kaahawe AT92 TYT94
mikeh@royalrobbins.com