[at-l] Re: ATML Dayhikes in the Whites

At 8:38 PM -0400 9/30/97, R. Paul Gordon wrote:
>Hey there,
>I'm am looking for a fairly strenuous, beautiful dayhike or two in the
>white mountains on the AT.  I am not familiar with the area at all, but
>am an experienced hiker.  Can someone out there suggest hikes they've
>been on w/ directions to the trailhead?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>FLooD

Hi Flood,

Awk! Dozens and dozens too pick from...

Here's a few. Drop by Pickham Notch as the Main Trailhead, AMC has a
terrific HQ there:

1. Rt16  Pinkham Notch Go up via Tuckerman to Mt Washington and down
Hutinton Ravine.

2. Rt16                          Take trail to Glenn Elis Falls then
Wildcat Trail to Carter Dome,
                                      and to Mt Hight

3. Rt 2                           Any of the many trailheads to Mt Madison
and Mt Adams

4. Rt302 to Mt Clinton Ave to Jefferson Notch Road to Trail head for Ridge
of the Caps
       takes you quickly up to Mt Jefferson then you can take Gulside trils
to mt Clay or to Mt Adams.  Loop around on "the Link"  we use to call that
bugger the "roots from hell".

Don't forget the Beautiful Franconia Notch Area and Mt Liberty across the
"the old Stone man' or whatever by Mt Cannon.

Get the Mount Washington Range, Appalachian Mountain Club map it shows the
dozens
of trails as too many to mention. Best Book is AMC White Mtn Guide.  Tells
of all trails,
etc, etc. Great book.

I suggest you turn your browser to
http://www.outdoors.org/Trips/  Appalachian Mtn club " Day Trip Guide '

Also under hikenet (pardon the self plug) http://members.aol.com/hikenet
go to the story section and select AT section as there are plenty of hiker
links with stories and photos on
 that area.  Read the trailplace logs of the thru-hikers on the ATC site.

    Under the 'hikenet' clubs section, pick New Hampshire and find many
local hiking clubs.

That's some suggestions.  Check the weather and be prepared....

Make sure you check out:  http://www.inch.com/~dipper/nh.html  has a nice
map too.

hope that gives you some leads for a terrific hiking area...