[at-l] Put me back on (long)

Well I guess Felix was right,

I just signed back onto the list. As it stands right now, I am about 95%
certain that I'll be chasing the dream again ...Northbound this time
starting in mid to late March. For those of you who don't have a clue who
I am: I started a Southbound thru-hike back in June, had some knee
problems, skipped a section that I planned to go back and repeat, and
around the 450 mile mark had most of my gear stolen.

I've been climbing (I'm a rock climber, sue me!) every weekend since I've
been back which has kept me busy, and I'm back to climbing 5.11 hoping to
tick a 12 before the season is over. That time off from climbing took a
good month and a half to recover from. I've done some day hikes and have
started replacing my gear. I'm working pretty hard in the gym using my
pyramid weight training regimen for leg strength. I also have an
appointment with an orthopedist this week to try to correct my left leg
oddities (left leg is about 9mm shorter than right leg, you couldn't tell
by looking at me, but it presents some motion mechanics peculiarities
which contribute to injury). I'm getting pretty psyched and it's only
September.

Gear Notes: Now that I've field tested my previous gear in serious long
distance situations, I have a great background to choose my new gear.
Here's what I've bought as replacement gear: (Note:Thank God the thieves
didn't get my Feathered Friends bag!)

Dana Designs Arcflex TERRAPLANE! - This is the absolute, hands down, cream
of the crop. It is the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my back. It
cost me a small fortune and was well worth it. Everyone raves about these
and with good reason. I tried everything, I tested packs for three days
solid, I tried Dana, Osprey, MtSmith, Lowe, North Face, ArcTeryx, Gregory.
Early on I was leaning toward a lighter pack, but the comfort of the Dana
combined with the construction brought me to my senses. Osprey pack are
nice, very nicely built and very functional, but Dana is the one! If you
plan to hike long distances, you owe it to yourself to get fitted for a
Dana and then compare it side by side with anything else you are
considering, climb some stairs with it, it's the single most important
piece of gear you'll own.

OR Advance Bivy - same as my other one, I love it, throw it anywhere,
		  pitches in seconds, weighs only 2 lbs with everything

Evernew Titanium 1.3 litre pot - $40 for a pot? Yes, but I'm an
              	  ultralighter shooting for a 25lb pack weight with food
		  and water.

Stove - 	  Still plan to use a Whisperlite Int. I had two, so I
		  still have the spare, it's the standard. Cheap, easy,
		  functional, light.

Thermarest Ultralite 3/4 - all the comfort I needed. I also carry a 1.5ft
		  piece of a cut-up Ridgerest ultra as a quick seat and
		  use it as foot padding at night.

Fleece Blanket    For when the bag is just too hot. Weighs about 2lb

REI G-tex pants   Full zip lightweight g-texpants. These no doubt will be
		  sent home after the Smokies, all the pant you'll need

Patagonia Synchilla 		I've had three of them......
Standard fleece pullover

PUR Hiker filter  It took a while to get primed sometimes, but overall a
		  good, light filter.

OR Rocky Mt LOW gaiters  I had the high ones before (still have a set for
			 winter) the high ones are too hot for summer,
			 and gaiters are invaluable for keeping crap out
			 of your boots

Sorry for the ramble, anyone on the list besides Milt in the metro-Atlanta
area?

Take care all,

Will Strickland  gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu
   It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
   I want to know what you ache for,
   and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing....
   ..  It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied
   I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.
   I want to know if you can be alone with yourself,
   and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

    --The Invitation-- Oriah Mountain Dreamer, Indian Elder