Re: [at-l] dogs

> i was wondering if anybody out there have ever made their dog
> carry his fairshare and ifso where i could find the pack that would fit him

Goose,

I have two dogs.  The bigger one is a husky X shep.  He is a real sweet
boy, but a real wuss.  I took him backpacking for 4 days w/o the other
one (Shar Pei X shep).  I carried all gear plus his (heavy) food the
entire trip and he did not eat a bite while we were out.  It was after
that trip that I decided to get him a pack so he could carry his own
stuff, and I'm glad I did.

Now when I go out w/ both pups they carry my tent, THEIR tent, trash,
snacks, maps, camp shoes, ground cloth, and of course, their own food.
I have read that a CONDITIONED dog can carry 30% of its weight in a
pack.  All the above items weigh in well below that, and that is less
that I have to carry.  For those of you that think I'm abusing my poor
mutts, I really think they enjoy it!  They will get very excited when
i'm packing at home and when it's time to break camp in the morning
while on the trail.  They know they will be going on an adventure w/ me
an d they can't wait.  Another bonus:  the Shar Pei X is a real deer
chaser.  With a pack on she gives up the chase quickly and comes right
back.

Paul "Flood" Gordon
                                                .oooO
                                                (   )   Oooo.